This year has brought more changes to ours lives than ever before. I feel blessed to be a wife, mother, and am embracing my new role as a blogger. I wanted to highlight my favorite photos and memories from this year, and narrowing them all down proved a challenge! Without further ado, here are Bainbridge Boheme’s top moments of 2016!
- Starting Bainbridge Boheme! It had to be number one because it all started here! Bainbridge Boheme stemmed from my love of celebrating life’s little pleasures. At the time, my love for journaling and photographing our everyday lives was growing, and this blog was born. When I launched, I really thought that my mother and mother-in-law would be the only readers. I’m so glad I was proven wrong. I have opened up about some really personal things here, and have had lots of just for fun posts too. I am grateful for each and every one of you for following along in this journey. It has blossomed into a true passion, and I can’t wait to see where it takes me in the New Year.
- Celebrating Julian’s first birthday. Of course, I knew his big day was coming, but it came faster than I could have ever imagined and it was more special than I can describe. Love you beyond measure baby Jules.
- Adopting our sweet rescue dog, Jet Pup when he was just 8 weeks old from the Kitsap Humane Society. Jeff and I are both such advocates for animal adoption, and Jet has been the perfect addition to our family. I love it when Jet Pup walks into Julain’s nursery with me to get him from naps. They are best buds!
- Finishing our home remodel (mostly)! I don’t talk about it much on the blog, but years ago we began an enormous project to remodel our home, which was once just a little Bainbridge Island barn. Like anyone who has been through a remodel will tell you, it takes all of your blood, sweat, tears and money. It has been a trying process, but one that I am so glad we took on. More than anything, I’m so glad it’s mostly done, and I’m so grateful we were able to spend our first Christmas in our new home.
- Our family trip to Hawaii! I feel so fortunate that we have family in Hawaii and are able to travel there for a sunny reprieve! Hawaii has so many special memories for us. Jeff and I took a trip there after we just barely starting dating (I know, I know!) and it was where we would later become engaged. This continues to be my most viewed post ever. Can’t imagine why 😉 You guys like swim suits I guess.
I would absolutely love to hear your top moments of the year! Let me know in the comments! And Happy New Year to all!
I am so excited to be able to start my New Year off with a glowing complexion! We all know what the holidays means; lots of parties, lots of events, and lots of photos! Glowing, beautiful skin is always in style and there’s no better time than the New Year to show it off. That’s why I took the time to visit my go-to esthetician Brenna from Blush by Brenna in Poulsbo, WA.
Pregnancy did a number on my skin. I had pregnancy induced melasma all on one side of my face, and none on the other. Needless to say, it used to make me incredibly self conscious. That would mean extra makeup to conceal and even out my skin. And while I like to wear makeup, I don’t like wearing a lot of makeup. So then I’d end up feeling self conscious about how much makeup I was wearing! My skin would get congested, and I’d end up wearing even more makeup! Enter Brenna.
Her “Perfect Facial” felt more glorious than a massage. We started off with a kiwi cream cleanse, then sloughed off dull, dead skin with a cranberry gomage. Her 30% glycolic peel and pumpkin peel works overtime to get you that beautiful, glowing skin. She even provides the most relaxing and hydrating hand and feet massages! Seriously, when is the last time you had a foot massage? It’s incredible. Alright, next came the not so pleasant part; extractions. Like I mentioned above, my skin was super congested! Brenna worked all of that congestion out, and then massaged wine oil into my skin for an anti-aging benefit. If I could bath in that stuff, I would. We topped off the facial with this incredible treatment called Thermo-Lo that gets rid of hyperpigmentation from my pregnancy induced melasma.
I love feeling comfortable and confident while bare faced. But lets be honest, that isn’t so simple as we get older! Sometimes we need just a little help from our local, friendly esthetician. I am feeling super vulnerable right now for posting a makeup free/filter free/unedited selfie on the internet (where nothing ever dies) but I couldn’t resist showing you all the amazing benefits of these treatments. Sure I still have little problem areas, I am human! But my skin has been radiant and oh so soft ever since my visit to Blush by Brenna. Check her out and get your New Years glow on!
Wanted to pop in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and to share with you this year’s Christmas card! I posted all of our Christmas photos in early December, but this was the winning photo that made our card! I know I’ve said it before, but this is my absolute favorite holiday. I hope you are cozy by a fire, drinking eggnog and feeling the warmth of the holiday. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Photography by Whitney Coudray Photography
Card from Minted
Earrings: Slate &Willow through RTR, similar here // Skirt: Slate & Willow, similar here and here// Shirt: Gap, similar here
Jeff: Jacket: Filson // Shirt: Pendleton, similar here // Pants: Levis, similar
Julian: Sweater: Gymboree, similar here and here // Flannel: Baby Gap // Pants: Tea Collection // Shoes: Barna and Co
Winter is the season for cuddling up and getting cozy by the fire. I love any excuse to have a relaxed day at home with family, and winter certainly brings that out in me. Having seasonal goals makes the time feel richer and helps me to embrace the change that is in the air. I shared my autumn to-do list on the blog before, so I thought it would be fun to share with you my winter list as well! Here’s a glimpse into a few of my goals for the winter season. Will you be doing any of these as well? What are your goals for the season? Let me know in the comments!
- Take Julian sledding for the first time
- Build a snowman (we may need to take a drive for this one, since our snow didn’t last long!)
- Set goals for the New Year
- See the Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Nutcracker. As a former snowflake myself (not a PNB Snowflake mind you!) this will always be my favorite Nutcracker scene!
- Have a Christmas movie marathon. My favorite is It’s a Wonderful Life!
- Take a drive around Bainbridge Island to see all the holiday light displays
- Send family Christmas cards. I’ll be sharing a peek at ours soon, I’m in love with them this year!
- Perfect my cinnamon roll recipe for Christmas morning
- Drink an eggnog latte. Okay, I may have already done that weeks ago
- Visit Christmas in Big Valley in my hometown of Poulsbo, WA.
Sweater: J. Crew old, similar// Jeans: DL 1961 // Boots: Hunter // Nail Polish: OPI
Our first snowfall was a magical as I had hoped it would be! The forecast predicted all of our snow would be gone before morning, so you can imagine my excitement when I woke to a winter wonderland! Jet was fascinated by the snowflakes and I could hardly get him to come inside all day. Julian was pretty mesmerized by the blankets of white, but was not interested in playing in it! He wanted his mama to hold him while he watch Jet Pup play.
For our little snowy playdate I bundled up in my new ILY MIX scarf and hat. You probably already know that I have a thing for scarves. So I was excited to add a few more pieces of theirs to my wardrobe and style them for winter. Hope we get some more of the beautiful snow soon. I would absolutely love a white Christmas!
For the past 5 years or so, every December I have reread “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens. Most of us know the story already, we’ve seen the movie, maybe even the Muppet rendition. But I think we can all agree that a book can take you to a magical place that a movie simply can’t. Well, maybe we don’t all agree on that (Dad) but that’s my humble opinion. Reading “A Christmas Carol” just before the Christmas holiday warms my heart like no other book can. It’s a quick read, and it’s subtly new every time.
It is the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, a simple man who turns cantankerous, and selfish through his years. On the night before Christmas day, he is forced to look at his past, present, and what his future will entail if he does not change his actions. Scrooge redeems himself and his transformation is nothing short of a Christmas miracle. This tale is touching and filled with cherished lessons; to have the spirit of Christmas all year long.
Favorite quotes: “No space of regret can make amends for one life’s opportunity misused”
“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”