Hooray for my very first video on the blog! As much as I would like to say that it is exactly what I had hoped for, that couldn’t be further from the truth. The reality is, I am a solo parent the vast majority of the time. I filmed this while my husband had been away for a month. I don’t have an extra set of hands to help with the baby, the filming, the baking. It’s just me. Actually, I almost deleted this video; you’ll know why when you watch. But, like myself, a lot of my friends and followers and real moms who also have limited help. So, from one mom just trying to do her best, to another, here is my very first video!
Please, please, let me know if you try this at home! I hope you enjoy!
Here are the step by step directions to a perfect lattice topped pie:
- Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 strips approx ¾-1 inch in width. (I like the look of ¾ inch but you’ll have extra dough, so feel free to do 1 inch.) Lay out 6 of the strips across the pie horizontally. The top strip is number 1 and the bottom is number 6.
- Fold the even numbered strips back onto themselves from the center. Lay a strip vertically, intersecting with the horizontal strips. Unfold the strips
- Repeat the above step but with folding back the odd numbered strips. Unfold strips.
- Weave the remaining strips by following the above method.
- To finish, trim the excess dough and fold the overhang into your fluted bottom crust. Bake as directed and enjoy!