^Maternity dress from ASOS, under $50!
It’s hard to believe that it’s already May, let alone that Mother’s Day is just around the corner! My mom and I are both nurses with odd and hectic work schedules, so we decided to celebrate Mother’s Day early this year. I hosted a brunch at our home and had a little too much fun planning it all! I decided to go all out to show my mom how much she is loved and appreciated. You can never say it enough! A color palette of soft blush pinks, whites and creams created a feminine look and to emphasis that the brunch really was all about mom! Sticking to a color palette can help an event look cohesive and more put together.
I love having the opportunity to celebrate my loved ones and this brunch ended up being a huge hit! Here’s a peek at last year’s event. Instead of just sharing the recipes with you all (although I will do that too) I thought it would be fun to highlight how I pulled off the event while being a working mama with a toddler! It is my hope that you can use some of these tips and tricks for your Mother’s Day celebration this weekend! And some of the delicious recipes too! Motherhood truly is the best and most important “job” in the world. Mamas deserve to be celebrated!
- Plan ahead. Brainstorm your color palette, theme or general ideas early on. This will help when making decisions on the event. Sometimes I would get a little overzealous while planning, but my original idea of a simple and feminine brunch would reground me. I love Pinterest for this purpose. I had been working on a Mother’s Day Pinterest board for a few weeks prior to the brunch. Have a menu in place a few days to a week before your event. This helps with delegation, and grocery shopping. People often ask me how I have time to bake, and one of my secrets is I always do my shopping and prep work the day before! Baking then becomes a breeze.
- Cater to your mama. Seems pretty obvious, right? But I’ve found that making the extra effort to tailor an event towards your guest of honor can make a world of difference. For example, my mom doesn’t drink alcohol. So instead of just sticking her with water while everyone else drank mimosas, I crafted a delicious raspberry lemonade spritzer for her to enjoy. I also was sure to make a playlist of her favorite music. Even something as simple as incorporating their favorite foods into the menu is a special touch. It sets the tone that the event is in her honor!
- Use seasonal blooms. Flowers can make your event! I decided to use the gorgeous tulips in our front yard to set the scene for our tablescape. Luckily for me we had lots of pretty pink blooms to choose from. Fresh florals really can transform your space.
- Incorporate a sentimental touch. Since this Mother’s Day brunch was in honor of my wonderful mom, I wanted to add a heartfelt touch to the event. I opted to use my Grandmother’s china teacups for each table setting. It was a big surprise to my mom, and she was so grateful to see her mother’s china being put to good use. I also love the idea of incorporating old photos into each place setting too. Again, my Pinterest board has some great inspiration!
- Keep food simple and seasonal. When developing the menu for our Mother’s Day brunch I kept things simple and fresh. This meant incorporating springtime fruits and veggies to pay homage to our changing seasons. A light orange bundt cake with a simple orange glaze (I just mixed 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp orange juice for the glaze) was a huge hit. We ate fresh waffles topped with a homemade whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream, 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla whipped together). We then rounded out the menu with a roasted pepper frittata topped with heirloom tomatoes and we had plenty of Hempler’s bacon to enjoy! Simple menus always speak for themselves.
If you try any of these tips, tricks or recipes at your Mother’s Day soiree I would love to hear about it! Be sure to tag me on Instagram (@heidi.stephens) or on Facebook (@BainbridgeBoheme) and let me know! Wishing you all a Happy Mother’s Day in advance!